Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day Tradition

So, I decided to start my own blog. I love looking at other people's and thought to myself, maybe I have something to share too. Maybe I won't, but it's worth a try!

Mr. W and I were discussing our plans for Memorial Day. I didn't have school so I wanted to take advantage of the holiday to the fullest. However, with our lack of money there weren't too many options. I have been dying to bake something but with our grocery budget being used up every week I haven't had the opportunity...and I guess I haven't had the time either. I got on my absolute favorite blog to read, Joy the Baker, and found the most amazing looking cupcakes you've ever seen. My plan was to show Mr. W the pictures, causing him to see how wonderful they look and suggest I make them. Well, I ended up just asking because I was so excited about the recipe and of course the money issue came up. I ran to the pantry and took an inventory of everything we already had and everything we needed. There really wasn't that much more that we needed! When I told Mr. W this, he said "Then of course you can make it! As a tradition, you should bake a new recipe every Memorial Day!" Well, at first I was bummed since Memorial Day only happens once a year, but then reminded myself that at least I get to have a baking adventure!

So, this morning I woke up early....ok...11:00...but still. I began baking. The cupcakes are called, Chocolate, Peanut Butter Cookie Dough, Toasted Marshmallow Cupcakes. Yeah. Prepare yourself for a cupcake that will change your life.

Ok...there is nothing like having my iPad2 to read the recipe off of. Ha. And my blog title is about living on a budget...oops.

Here you go though on the budget part. Notice all of the Great Value things? Obviously except for the chocolate stuff. Can't go wrong with Hershey and Nestle.

Yummy cupcake batter.

I've learned that I'm a REALLY messy baker....gotta work on that.

These are for the peanut butter cookie dough...and as I was making this, I realized how funny it was that Joy the Baker's recipe calls for all organic ingredients...and here I am with everything Great Value. That moment is what inspired the title of my blog. :)

Here are the cupcakes!

Let me tell you. The peanut butter cookie dough with chocolate chips are probably the best I've ever had. Next time I might just make them.

This was the most difficult part, the meringue. I made Mr. W come in the kitchen and help me. We were terrified the bowl was going to shatter!

Let me introduce you to my Kitchen Aid mixer by the way. I love it. Sometimes I try to find excuses to bake just so I can use it. :)


Looks like melted marshmallows!

Good ole ziplock bag with the corner cut. I'm on a budget remember?

Broiling them to make them look like marshmallows.

A little bit of heaven.

For the recipe go to Joy the Baker's website. I just substituted everything with Great Value products, except for the cocoa and nestle semi sweet chocolate chips.

Be prepared.....during and after the creation of these cupcakes...you will most likely gain 1 million pounds.

Hope you enjoy!!!

Mrs. W

1 comment:

  1. macye this is so cute. it makes me miss you. i especially like the ipad part :D

    -jade

    ReplyDelete